Volume 70, Number 3 (July 2013), of the Institute of General Semantics’s quarterly journal ETC: A Review of General Semantics has been mailed and is now available for download from the IGS Store in searchable PDF format.
Table of Contents Preview
- “On Semantics and General Semantics: Re-Defining the Former to Understand the Latter” by Ben Hauck
- “The Science and Sanity of Listening” by Benjamin J. Cline
- “Awareness and Action: A General Semantics Approach to Effective Language Behavior (Part 2) – Abstraction: Exploring Why the Map Is Not the Territory” by Mary P. Lahman
- “Loose Lips: Broadcast and Socially Mediated Political Rhetoric and the Sinking of the 2012 Senatorial Campaigns of Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock” by Jefferson Spurlock
- “The Textbook Writer” by Joseph A. DeVito
- Metaphors in Action:
“Reality Is Boring, Media Are Magnetic” by Raymond Gozzi, Jr.
- 75th Anniversary Reprint:
“Remembering Don Hayakawa” by Alan R. Hayakawa
“The Empty Eye” by S. I. Hayakawa and Alan R. Hayakawa
“Whatever I Call It, It Is” by Neil Postman
“New Hope for the Technological Society: An Interview with Jacques Ellul” by Berta Sichel
“Perspectives on Our Age: Jacques Ellul Speaks on His Life and Work, by Jacques Ellul. Edited by William H. Vandenburg; translated by Joachim Neugroschel. New York: The Seabury Press, 1981″ by Terrance P. Moran
“Media Tribes: Making Sense of Popular Culture, the Mass Media, and Everyday Life in America” by Arthur Asa Berger
“The Electronic Imagination: Requiem for a Narrative” by Brian Donahue
- “For the Nonce (Excerpt)” by Phillip Dow
- Plus Book Reviews and Dates and Indexes.
The cover of ETC 70:3 is from a painting titled “Earth” by Nicole Wilson.