The 96th Annual Convention of the National Communication Association titled Building Bridges takes place from November 14-17, 2010, at the Hilton San Francisco and Parc 55 San Francisco in San Francisco, California.
A special “Roundtable on General Semantics: Advancing the Discipline” is being sponsored by NCA First Vice-President Lynn H. Turner of Marquette University. The session will be moderated by IGS President Martin Levinson, and take place on Sunday, November 14, 2010, from 2:00-3:15pm. The roundtable will feature:
- Michael Cole (Dr. Sanford I. Berman Chair in General Semantics at the University of California, San Diego)
- Gregory Allan Thompson (Dr. Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar at the University of California, San Diego)
- Richard Fiordo (University of North Dakota)
- Geri Forsberg (Western Washington University)
- Corey Anton (IGS Trustee/Grand Valley State University)
- Lance Strate (IGS Executive Director/Fordham University)
This year, for the first time, NCA is introducing a “product theater” in their exhibit hall, and in it IGS will be providing presentations on teaching general semantics on each of the three days that the exhibit hall will be open.
- Sunday, November 13th @ 12:30-1:30pm
Corey Anton will discuss teaching general semantics in relation to rhetorical criticism and the philosophy of communication
- Monday, November 14th @ 10:00-11:00am:
Lance Strate will discuss teaching general semantics in relation to communication theory and media theory
- Tuesday, November 15th @ 10:00-11:00am:
Martin Levinson will discuss pragmatic approaches involving general semantics in the classroom
The Institute will also have a table in the exhibit hall, and both Martin Levinson and Jacqueline Rudig will be present to recruit new members and spread the word about our organization.
Registration and additional information may be found on the convention’s webpage: