Volume 70, Number 2 (April 2013), of the Institute of General Semantics’s quarterly journal ETC: A Review of General Semantics is arriving in the mail and is now available for download from the IGS Store in searchable PDF format.
Table of Contents Preview
- “Midlevel Abstracting: An Underserved Zone of General Semantics” by Richard Fiordo
- “General Semantics: Understanding Korzybski’s Formulations” by Mary P. Lahman
- “This Old Sole” by Michael Moore
- “General Semantics and Effective Communication” by Geetha Bhasker
- “How Just Is Our Justice System?” by Frank J. Scardilli
- “Diasporic Creativity as a Non-Aristotelian Form of Communication” by Deepa Mishra
- “A Glossary: Usage Abbreviations of Mobile Phone SMS” by Thotapally Anjaneyulu
- Metaphors in Action:
“Watching Television Is Like …” by Raymond Gozzi, Jr.
“Food as a Social Medium and a Medium of Culture” by Peter Zhang
- 75th Anniversary Reprint:
“The Brotherhood of Doctrines” by Alfred Korzybski
“People in Quandaries: And Why They Are There” by Wendell Johnson
“Semantics, General Semantics: An Attempt at Definition” by S. I. Hayakawa
“etcetera” by e.e. cummings
“I Know Not …” by Shipra R. Upadhyay
“She and He” by Darlyne Ibarra
“Criss-cross” by Steven Jacobson
“Homeward” by Steven Jacobson
“The American Flag” by Danny P. Barbare
“Janitor’s Winter Poem” by Danny P. Barbare
“Sustenance” by Jane Blanchard
“Hold Out” by Jane Blanchard
“Coupling” by Jane Blanchard
- Plus Book Reviews and News and Notes.
The cover of ETC 70:2 is from a painting titled “Mr. Neuro Semantic” by Dom Heffer.