The 56th Alfred Korzybski Memorial Lecture & Dinner
56th Alfred Korzybski Memorial Lecturer
- Teacher and documentarian.
- Author of Screenagers, host of Frontline’s The Persuaders.
- Lecture Title: “Playing the Future: Towards a Creative Society”
Friday Evening, November 14th, 2008
Dinner & Lecture
The Princeton Club
15 West 43rd St. (between 5th & 6th Avenues)
New York, NY 10036
A 2-Day Symposium
Title: “Creating the Future: Conscious Time-Binding for a Better Tomorrow”
- Institute of General Semantics
- New York Society for General Semantics
- Media Ecology Association
- Lifwynn Foundation for Social Research
- Friends of the Institute of Noetic Sciences
- Fordham Universit’s Department of Communication and Media Studies
Saturday, November 15th – Sunday, November 16th, 2008
Fordham University, Lincoln Center Campus
W. 60th St @ Columbus Ave., NYC
We are in the midst of a new renaissance fostered largely by a revolution in the way that we relate to our symbols and symbol systems. The new media of computers and computer networks invites an ethos of interactivity that empowers users and invites creativity, an ethos that might best be characterized as playfulness. With our newfound access to participation and collective authorship, we now have the potential to gain control over our symbolic communication and semantic environment, and thereby promote true agency and more responsive social and public institutions. To do so requires that we become conscious of the biases of the languages and technologies through which we choose to perceive and create, and that we ask ourselves the question: Are we willing to play the future?
Call for Presentations
Registration is now closed.
Schedule of Events
For the program for the weekend’s events, click here.